DCOM error when moving Lync users between pools.

Recently I came across a small problem when I tried to move Lync users between pools in different sites. The environment is Lync 2013 Enterprise Edition with full HA and HLB(Riverbed Stingray).

The Error was “Unable to connect to some of the servers in pool <name> due to a Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) error”.

image001

All servers in the solution is Windows Server 2012/R2 running Lync 2013 Enterprise Edition.

Ben Lee posted an article abut the same error message in 2011, and the article is also valid for a Lync2013-only environment. The article can be found here.

PS: Make sure the HLB is configured correctly to handle all Lync traffic.

Advertisements

Updates for the Lync 2013 client.

Back from three weeks of vacation, and I thought I would share some news for a start 🙂

Check out this blogpost on the Lync Team Blog for an overview of the new features available With the Lync 2013 CU2.

Pay special attention to the new embedded images feature, which I’ve been asked about almost in every deployment I’ve made 🙂

Be aware that the server has to be updated With CU2 before the client features are available.

Using Cisco Tandberg VCS as video gateway for Lync.

I’ve recently had to do some video routing in Lync in order for users to be able to connect to external video systems other than Lync.
Apparentliy, this was doable in Lync, but I’ve never configured it before.
So here we go:
First, the routing video system has to be configured, in my case this was a Cisco Tandberg based system which was supposed to serve as a GW for Lync video clients.
The system was configured as a TrustedApplication according to the installation manual from Cisco Tandberg.

Secondly, Lync has to be configured with static routes for the domain in question, for demo purposes named remotedomain.com. Internal domain is mydomain.com.

Assuming there is no static routes defined prior to this, the following commands are run in Lync Server Management Shell:

  • New-CsRegistrarConfiguration -Identity Service:Registrar:lync.mydomain.com
  • New-CsStaticRoutingConfiguration -Identity Service:Registrar:lync.mydomain.com
  • $route = New-CsStaticRoute -TLSRoute -destination vcsc.mydomain.com -port 65072 -matchuri something.remotedomain.com -usedefaultcertificate $True
    (vcsc.mydomain.com=Fqdn of Cisco GW to be used)
  • Set-CsStaticRouteConfiguration -Identity Service:Registrar:lync.mydomain.com -route @{Add=@route}

The result, when running Get-CsStaticRouteConfiguration, should look something like this(MatchUri and GW FQDN masked):

image002

MatchUri would be the destination domain something.remotedomain.com and Fqdn=”name of your video GW”:”Destination port”

And that should be it. You’re now ready to make video calls directly from Lync to video end points in the configured domain. If there are several domains, make a static route for each domain.

Trouble installing ReachFonts.msi

Recently I had a strange experience when installing a new Lync 2013 Standard Edition server.

Normally, this is a straight forward procedure which (almost) never causes any problems. Just build the topology, publish and deploy server roles.

My problem started when I had finished building the topology and had installed the local replica of the CMS. Next step was to run Add or Remove Lync Server Components.

I started the procedure, and everything looked nice until it suddenly didn’t 😦

The Message was: Error returned when installing ReachFonts.msi

Lync2013InstallError

Solution:

The problem was solved by copying the ReachFonts.msi file from the installation media to the following location on the server:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\LyncServer\Deployment\cache\4.0.7577.0

Restart the process, and everything works fine.

This may apply to similar problems with other files in the installation process. The file copied and the file replaced had the same date and size, so figure out why this should be a problem…